February 3, 2010

Meditation Inspiration - Rumi, Part 2

Mom's take on Rumi is different than daughter's....

Rumi, Part 1
That first Rumi piece speaks to hard lessons and the need to relearn them for spiritual clarity.
But I can't get past the imagery...I am very literal.
The father's stern slaps...too patriarchal and violent for me.

But I too am inspired by Rumi and below is the piece that greets me in my morning writing space. It also speaks in male terms and of violence yet i respond to it more positively. And relate to the rush of daily stimuli it speaks of...and my own need to gently be with whatever is presented.


This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

1 comment: