January 20, 2010

Reusable Menstrual Products

Have you ever considered how many menstrual products the average woman disposes of in her life? Or how much she spends on them? Reusable menstrual products are a great way to cut back on or even eliminate the waste and the expense.

I tried the Keeper (a reusable rubber menstrual cup) several years ago but never really felt comfortable wearing it, even though I know other people who loved it. I am considering trying the Diva Cup or Moon Cup (silicone reusable menstrual cups), but at $35, I am holding off for now.

I also got a cloth pad from Glad Rags many years ago. I recently rediscovered it and started using it again. Chatting with a friend, I found out she just started making her own cloth pads, so we had a sewing date to make some together. There are lots of patterns online, but we used my Glad Rags pad to make our own. We finished one each, and cut out fabric for two more, but will have to get together another time to finish them. My goal is to make enough to make it through my period, plus hopefully some to give away to friends.

I also want to make some of the less bulky cloth pantyliners I have seen recently, like this one from Glad Rags.

If you're not up for making your own, there are plenty of places to purchase them online. I recommend going to Etsy and searching for reusable menstrual pads. They have a great variety from many indie crafters at reasonable prices.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering about washing, here's what I do with mine. I rinse or quickly wash it by hand in cold water as soon as possible (same day or next day), which gets the blood out. I let it air dry, then throw it in with my regular laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment