Checklist for before you meditate:
- Let your partner/family/roommate know you will be meditating, how long, and that you would like not to be disturbed
- Turn off your phone and any other electronics that may beep, flash, etc.
- Adjust the thermostat to a comfortable level, drape a blanket or shawl over yourself if needed
- Put on lip balm and lotion
- Pull your hair away from your face
- Make sure you are wearing comfortable clothes - nothing too tight or that digs in
- Remove any jewelry that may bother you or make noise
- If you have time, do some stretches or gentle exercises before sitting
- Take a moment to notice whether there is anything urgent you need to do floating in your mind - if so, take the time to jot these things down on a piece of paper so your mind will be less likely to keep coming back to them during meditation
- Set a timer - I use the timer function on my watch - and make sure it is working
- Experiment (over the course of several days) with finding the best sitting position - in a chair, on the floor, on a small cushion, large cushion, or no cushion, etc.
What are the distractions that challenge you, and how do you respond to them?