December 20, 2010

Winter Greens!

My dad and I have been experimenting with extending our growing/eating season for fresh veggies. Most of the information we have used comes from Eliot Coleman's excellent books, including The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses and Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long.

A page from Four Season Harvest showing a sketch of a cabbage stalk sprouting in a bucket inside.


This is how it turns out in real life! 

I have a cabbage stalk sprouting in my apartment (I cut the stalk off the cabbage and planted it in a bucket of potting soil), and I have been eating the leaves on sandwiches. There is not much greenery, but it helps satisfy my urge for fresh greens.

Also on the sandwich are Tofu Kan (a local baked marinated tofu which I love), local cheese (Baby Rand from CNY Bounty), hummus (leftover from Food Not Bombs), canned banana peppers (store bought), and our own homegrown carrots. The carrots did amazingly well this year - growing huge, keeping a good flavor, and storing well so far, in both the ground and the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment