February 11, 2011

Inspired by... Dali

We recently visited the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL. I thought I was familiar with his work before, but I was amazed and inspired to see the tremendous depth and breadth of his work and creativity. He worked in many different media, styles, and sizes, collaborated with other artists, writers, and creative thinkers, and refused to be boxed in to one category.

The museum itself was newly opened and specifically designed to house his work.




Instead of continuing with my own interpretation, I want to share with you with some of Dali's words and images and let you interpret them in your own way.

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."
Telephone in a Dish with Three Grilled Sardines at the End of September, 1939
"It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning."
 Average Atmospherocephalic Bureaucrat in the Act Milking a Cranial Harp, 1933
"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."
Sugar Sphinx, 1933
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic."

 Hallucinogenic Toreador, 1968-1970

Dali Fishing, 1954 (Philippe Halsman)
"Each morning when I awake, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali."

No comments:

Post a Comment