March 13, 2010

Garden Intentions

It has only just started to get warm here in the last week, but garden plans have been in the works for a couple of months now!  My parents have a big garden at their house which I will be helping with, and I also plan to have a small "salad garden" at my apartment. Here's what is on our list to grow:

"Salad garden"
cabbage
kale
chard
salad greens - lettuce, arugula, mizuna, sorrel
cucumbers
zucchini
broccoli
scallions
hot peppers
herbs - chives, garlic chives, thyme, oregano
johnny jump ups

My Parents' Garden
potatoes
onions
winter squash
tomatoes
red cabbage
Brussels sprouts
celeriac
beets
carrots
salad greens
Belgian endive
parsnip
peas
beans
belgian endive
sorrel
kale
spinach
broccoli
turnips

My dad does much of the planting, and I do much of the planning (we play to our strengths). I typed up a planting schedule for everything we plan to grow, which includes dates of planting, whether it's being planted from seed or a seedling, and where it will be planted (started indoors, direct sown in the hoophouse, or direct sown outdoors). My dad has already started several flats of seeds inside, and I will be going over to help plant and transfer some things in the hoophouse very soon! More garden news and photos to come (these photos are from a previous season).

What are you planning and planting?

2 comments:

  1. I'm planning to buy my fruits and vegetalbes at Sunfrost in Woodstock and have a cup of coffee and a bagel while I'm at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's certainly another way to do it!

    i don't know Sunfrost but I do enjoy farmer's markets and small stores that carry local fresh produce. And I envy you the nearby bakeries!

    ReplyDelete