March 16, 2011

Inspired by MLK

“We as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must rapidly begin the shift from a ‘thing-oriented’ society to a ‘person-oriented’ society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.”
                                                                        ~Martin Luther King

There are a lot of crazy things going on around the world of late. A lot to get angry, worried, and scared about. How do we deal with all of it? Many of us can't, so at some point we just tune out.

I know for myself that I need to limit my intake of news and other media. I like to know a bit about what is going on, but not too much. For me, the best way to stay positive is to keep focused on the things I can do something about.

That's what this quote reminds and inspires me to do - focus on people and on building a person-oriented society in my own community.

How do you cope with bad news overload? Who or what inspires you to focus on the positive and to take action where you can?

No comments:

Post a Comment